Digital marketing and search engine optimization (SEO) are crucial components of any modern business’s online presence. With the increasing reliance on the internet for information, products, and services, it’s essential for companies to have a strong online presence in order to reach and engage with their target audience.
However, despite the importance of these fields, there is a growing mistrust towards digital marketers and SEOs in 2023.
A major contributing factor for the mistrust towards digital marketers and SEOs is a lack of transparency. This can take the form of hidden fees or charges, a lack of disclosure about the services or strategies being used, or a failure to clearly communicate with clients. This lack of transparency can lead to misunderstandings and disappointments, as well as a lack of accountability for the work being performed.
In addition when a company or individual makes promises or sets unrealistic expectations that go unfulfilled, it erodes trust and confidence in their abilities. Similarly, when a company is unable to deliver on the results they promise, it can lead to frustration and disappointment for the client.
Red flags for an an SEO company
Here are more ways in which SEO professionals or companies may set unrealistic expectations for their clients. Some examples include:
- Promising overnight results: Many SEO professionals may promise quick and dramatic improvements in search rankings or traffic, which is often not realistic. It takes time for search engines to crawl and index a website, and significant changes in rankings may take months to achieve.
- Overstating the importance of certain ranking factors: Some SEO professionals may overemphasize the importance of certain ranking factors, such as keyword density or backlinks, leading clients to believe that these elements are more important than they actually are in the overall ranking algorithm.
- Underestimating the competition: SEO professionals may underestimate the level of competition for certain keywords or phrases, leading clients to believe that it will be easier to rank highly for those terms than it actually is.
- Failing to consider the client’s business goals: SEO professionals may focus solely on improving search rankings without considering the client’s overall business goals or target audience. This can result in traffic that doesn’t convert or leads that are not relevant to the business.
- Lack of transparency: SEO professionals who are not transparent about their strategies or tactics may set unrealistic expectations by implying that they have some secret or magic formula for achieving results.
- Guaranteeing top rankings: Some SEO professionals may guarantee top rankings for certain keywords or phrases, which is not realistic given the constantly evolving nature of search algorithms and the competition for certain terms.
- Promising a certain amount of traffic or leads: SEO professionals may promise a certain amount of traffic or leads, but this can be difficult to predict or guarantee due to a variety of factors such as the client’s target audience and the quality of their website.
- Overstating the impact of SEO on overall business success: SEO is an important part of any online marketing strategy, but it is not the only factor that determines business success. Some SEO professionals may overstate its impact and lead clients to believe that it is the only or primary factor in driving business growth.
- Underestimating the time and resources required: SEO can be a time-consuming and resource-intensive process, and some professionals may underestimate the amount of time and resources required to achieve the desired results.
- Failing to consider the client’s budget: Some SEO professionals may set unrealistic expectations by promising results that are beyond the scope of the client’s budget, leading to disappointment when those results are not achieved.
The negative impact of this distrust on the industry and its clients cannot be overstated. When consumers or businesses lose trust in the digital marketing industry, they may be less likely to invest in online advertising or SEO services. This can lead to a decline in the overall industry and a decrease in the opportunities available to professionals in these fields.
To combat this mistrust and rebuild confidence in the industry, it’s essential for digital marketers and SEOs to prioritize honesty and transparency. This means being upfront about the services being provided, the strategies being employed, and any potential limitations or challenges. It also means being clear about the costs and fees associated with their services, and being open and communicative with clients throughout the process.
The green flags you want to see in an SEO company
While it’s true most SEO companies and digital marketing services can have red flags, there are a lot of companies out there who do have your best interests at heart! When looking to partner with an agency or individual we recommend looking out for these contributing factors:
- A focus on the user experience: A good SEO company will prioritize the user experience, including the design and functionality of the client’s website, as well as the quality and relevance of the content.
- A transparent approach: A reputable SEO company will be open and transparent about their strategies and tactics, and will be able to clearly explain the reasoning behind their recommendations.
- A focus on long-term results: A good SEO company will not only focus on short-term gains, but will also consider the long-term sustainability of the client’s search engine rankings.
- A track record of success: A reputable SEO company will have a proven track record of delivering results for their clients. This may include case studies or testimonials from satisfied customers.
- A commitment to staying up-to-date: The world of SEO is constantly evolving, and a good SEO company will stay up-to-date on the latest trends and changes in the industry.
- A focus on quality over quantity: A reputable SEO company will prioritize the quality of their work over the quantity of backlinks or other tactics that may be seen as spammy or low-quality.
- An understanding of the client’s business goals: A good SEO company will take the time to understand the client’s business goals and target audience, and will tailor their strategies accordingly.
- A commitment to ethical practices: A reputable SEO company will follow ethical practices and avoid tactics that may be seen as manipulative or deceptive.
- A willingness to provide regular updates and reports: A good SEO company will keep their clients informed about the progress of their campaigns and provide regular updates and reports.
- A focus on conversion optimization: In addition to improving search rankings, a good SEO company will also focus on optimizing the website for conversion, ensuring that the traffic they bring to the site is more likely to take the desired action (such as making a purchase or filling out a form).
When a company actively exhibits the points above and places a strong emphasis on transparent relationship building in lieu of gimmicks, tricks and quick solutions, you can rest assured that they are the partner you want to have in your corner!
Transparency in how SEOs charge their clients and why
It’s no secret, there’s a lot of skepticism in how SEOs and digital marketing companies charge their clients, and with good right! A lot of these companies keep their prices, profitability margins and methods incredibly tight lipped!
Below we have de-mystified the most common ways SEOs price services:
- Flat fee: This is a one-time fee that covers a specific set of services, such as a website audit or keyword research.
- Retainer: This is a monthly fee that covers ongoing SEO work, such as content creation and link building.
- Project-based: This is a fee that is based on the scope of a specific project, such as redesigning a website or implementing an SEO strategy.
- Hourly rate: This is a fee that is based on the number of hours that the SEO company works on the client’s project.
- Performance-based: This is a fee that is based on the results achieved through the SEO efforts, such as an increase in traffic or conversions.
While the above illustrates how SEOs may charge their clients, here is the determining factors and why:
- The scope of the work: The larger and more complex the project, the more time and resources it will require, which will generally result in a higher fee.
- The level of expertise and experience: SEO companies with more expertise and experience in a particular area may charge higher fees for their services.
- The competitiveness of the industry: The level of competition in a particular industry can affect the fees charged by SEO companies. For example, a highly competitive industry may require more advanced strategies and tactics, which can result in higher fees.
- The client’s budget: SEO companies may consider the client’s budget when determining their fees, but it’s important for clients to understand that cheaper options may not always result in the best quality of work or the desired results.
- The potential return on investment: SEO companies may also consider the potential return on investment for their clients when determining their fees. For example, if an SEO campaign is expected to result in a significant increase in traffic and sales, the fees may be higher than for a campaign with more modest expectations.
A governing body for SEOs could lead to more trust in the industry
As you may know, there is currently no governing body for SEOs, and there are a few potential reasons for this. One reason may be that the field of SEO is relatively new, and it has evolved rapidly over the past two decades. This rapid evolution has made it difficult to establish a set of consistent standards or practices that would be applicable across all sectors and industries.
Another reason may be that SEO is a highly technical field, and it involves a wide range of tactics and strategies that can vary significantly from one company to another. This makes it challenging to establish a single set of standards or practices that would be applicable to all SEO professionals.
However, despite these challenges, there are several reasons why it might be beneficial to have a governing body for SEOs. One reason is to promote ethical practices and prevent deceptive or manipulative tactics. A governing body could establish a code of ethics for SEO professionals to follow and could also enforce penalties for those who violate these ethical standards.
Another reason is to provide a level of accountability and transparency in the industry. A governing body could require SEO professionals to disclose their strategies and tactics, as well as to provide regular updates and reports to clients. This would increase transparency and help to rebuild trust in the industry.
Finally, a governing body could help to establish standards for education and training in the field of SEO. This could ensure that SEO professionals have the necessary knowledge and skills to deliver high-quality work to their clients.